• Contracting authority
Office of the Minister of State for Administrative Reform (OMSAR)
• Partner in implementation
Central Inspection of Lebanon (CI)
- 6 Ministries and Directorates(-General):
Ministry of Economy and Trade, Directorate General of Urban Planning (MoPW), Ministry of Industry, Directorate of Revenue (MoF), Directorate General of Hydraulic and Electric Resources (MOEW), Directorate of Primary Education (MoEHE)
- 4 Ministries and Directorates(-General):
Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Environment, Ministry of Labor, Ministry of Public Works and Transportation (Directorate of Roads)
- Office of the Minister of State for Administrative Reform
- Central Inspection
• Financing Source
Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development (AFESD)
The cost of the project is limited to one foreign expert fee.
Overall Objective: To enhance the capacity of the Central Inspection (CI) of Lebanon to conduct performance inspection activities that are based on valid and solid indicators and to provide the appropriate methodology for the public administrations to conduct internal institutional performance evaluation.
• To focus the inspection activities undertaken by the inspectors on the organizational and sectoral performance of the public entities under scrutiny.
• To improve the capacity of the CI to assure its control and inspection functions by relying on KPIs.
• To ensure compliance of Public Administrations in applying a scientific approach, helping them to abide by the Legislative Decree 111 of 1959 requiring Directors-General to prepare (semi-)annual organizational and sectoral performance reports for submission to the Civil Service Board and the Central Inspection.
• To strengthen human and institutional capacities of Public Administrations to effectively apply modern approach helping in preparing annual and semi-annual performance reports in a standardized and objective way.
Scope and Phasing
• Focusing has been on participatory performance planning and monitoring tools development in close collaboration between OMSAR and the Central Inspection together with the ministries in a triangular setting.
• Sectoral and organizational Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) development for sectors / Ministries.
• Performance benchmarking and reporting with the ministries including OMSAR.
• Attention is given to performance benchmarking and reporting on the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) indicators by all Government of Lebanon Ministries.
• Subsequent SOPMIP expansion phases to gradually encompass all Public Administrations.
SOPMIP Methodology and Processes
• The SOPMIP process is initiated with the joint identification of the sectoral Key Performance Areas (KPAs), with a four-fold sectoral anchoring: institutionally, strategically, legally and budgetary.
• The development and selection of the Key Performance Indicators and Sub-Indicators (KPIs and S-KPIs) through joint work between the inspectors and public administrations, facilitated by OMSAR.
• The indicators’ benchmarking process (both baseline values and targets) by the ministry, and performance measurements, evaluation and inspections by the Central Inspection.
The SOPMIP automation is under preparation to help in automatically generated performance scores and color ratings, scorecards and dashboard graphics.